Saturday, July 26, 2008

Well, I just got a rough edit in today of "Third From the Sun" starring Fred Willard and it's very good. I've started writing my notes on it and will send them over to Cerny American for tweaking. Fred Willard does an awesome job in the lead role of William Sturka, played in the TV version by Fritz Weaver. Zoner Tom McElroy plays Sturka's friend Jerry Riden and Doug James (who is also our TZ announcer) plays the ominously gregarious Mr. Carling. "Third From the Sun" was from the Twilight Zone's first TV season and is a remarkable episode. It was written by Rod Serling based on a short story by the great Richard Matheson. It's the story of two men and their families who discover the world is going to be annihilated by nuclear war within 48 hours. One of the men is an experimental aircraft pilot who can fly their families to safety in a rocket ship to a distant world similar to their own. But their escape is almost foiled by a man who learns of their plan to rocket off to another world. This one will air in August so I hope you'll be able to tune it in.

I received two terrific TZ scripts in this week ­ both of which are brand new story ideas, not based on original TZ episodes. One is by writer Chris Canniff. It's based on the John Collier story "Back For Christmas." I'm hoping to produce this one later this year. The other is by Dennis Etchison; it's called "The 25th Hour." It's the story of a busy man for whom there are not enough hours in the day. He meets a mysterious stranger, an older, retired fellow who has more time on his hands than he knows what to do with. Soon, as you might imagine, they strike a deal and therein lies the tale.

Well, that's all for this week, see you next week for more NEWS FROM THE ZONE!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had no idea that radio shows were still being produced!

The "Arts" are a gift to the world and especially when they are used to encourage imangination and developement. Keep up the good work friend! I will be tuning in.

Anonymous said...

I remember "Third From the Sun" well. In particular I thought that the "ominously gregarious" Carling, played by Edward Andrews, was a particularly creepy and sinister character, who sticks in my mind from when I was a kid.

I am collecting the complete set on CD, and for the past few years my now-teenage son and I have listened to them before bedtime over many nights, often several times over. We are always eagerly awaiting the release of new ones - has the release of Volume 14 been scheduled yet?