Friday, July 11, 2008

This week we completed the final mix of the TZ episode “The Prime Mover” starring David Eigenberg in the Dane Clark role of “Ace Larsen” the pushy but ingratiating owner of a roadside diner. David is fabulous in the role. One of my top Zoners, Kurt Naebig, gives a stellar performance in the Buddy Ebsen role of “Jimbo Cobb” Ace’s cook and right-hand man – who has a talent he’s kept hidden all these years: the ability to move objects with his mind. Once Ace discovers what Jimbo can do, it’s off to Vegas to try their luck at the tables. This TZ radio drama came together a little easier than most – probably because the star of the show (David Eigenberg) was here in Chicago with the rest of the cast when we recorded it. When we have the star record their performance in LA, NY, etc. it takes longer - and more tender loving care - to fuse it together properly. The geniuses at Cerny American Creative are true masters at this technique though and if I didn’t know it myself, I’d think the star was with the supporting cast on them all.

Today I have the supporting casts for MIKE HAMMER episode 2 “Oil & Water” coming in as well as the TZ episode “Who Am I?” It will be a long day of rehearsing and then recording both shows. We’ll do a table read of the TZ show first, and then record it, then break for lunch and do a table read of the HAMMER show and then record it. During the table reads the actors take direction from me; we all take notes; make tweaks; all get on the same page with name pronunciation, etc. I’ll have a great crew in here today including Franette Liebow, Ric Peeples, D.J. Howard, Meg Thalken, Oksana Fedunyszyn, Norm Woodel, Ilyssa Fraden, Nick Sandys, Tom McElroy, Kurt Naebig, Ric Vargas, Heidi Klefstad, Jamie Baron, Sara Court, Tracy Hernandez, Brandon Beard Reed and Maestro Harrell. I’m looking forward to a productive day – then when it’s all over – collapse from exhaustion : )

Next week, I should be hearing the first rough mix of MIKE HAMMER episode 1 “Dangerous Days” so I’m excited about that. Well, that’s it for now, join me next week for more NEWS FROM THE ZONE!

No comments: