Friday, April 25, 2008

Greetings Zoners! This week, most of the emails I received from listeners revolved around the anticipation to hear TZ Radio Dramas produced from new script ideas. Another words new shows that are NOT based on the original stories from the Rod Serling TV series. For years I’ve been pleading with CBS to allow me to commission writers to pen fresh story ideas and I’m thrilled to report that they have agreed to let this happen. Several great authors are currently writing brand new TZ Radio Drama scripts and as soon as I receive them, I send them off to CBS for approval. So the most asked question to my blog has been “when will we start hearing some?” Well, the answer is - you already have: A few weeks ago we presented “Free Dirt” tarring Eric Bogosian. Written by Charles Beaumont, “Free Dirt” was to be televised as a Twilight Zone television show in the mid 1960s but the show went off the air before it could be produced. Dennis Etchison, our script supervisor, wrote the radio adaptation based on the final draft of Beaumont’s Twilight Zone TV script and the original short story. I'll let Dennis explain, he writes: “Free Dirt” was my favorite Beaumont story. I found it inscrutable and struggled for years to figure it out. Now, with his script as well as the short story to work from, I think I finally understand it. Sort of. It’s still fascinating, which it’s supposed to be. The ending is utterly original, mysterious and haunting – all characteristics of Beaumont’s writing. This one is perhaps the most haunting of all. This is truly a “lost episode.” It’s really something special for the fans.” Thanks Dennis! In my opinion, this is one of the best shows in the series and I hope listeners had a chance to catch it, if not it will be available for sale and download soon.

And there have been two other radio episodes that were not seen on the TV series: “Gentlemen Be Seated” another Charles Beaumont story that was commissioned for The Twilight Zone but never produced. William Froug replaced Bert Granet as producer of the TV series in 1963 and this is one of the scripts that was shelved by the new regime, which had a different view of the show. So, our radio version, which stars Stan Freberg and Mike Starr, is the only TZ version of this show. It is currently available for download and sale. The other is “Pattern For Doomsday” a commissioned but unproduced script by Jerry Sohl. Our radio version stars Henry Rollins as “Jody Hallam” a tough but somewhat charming gambler who is chosen to be one of a group of citizens sent to a new world to colonize it (also available for sale and download).

In the months to come you’ll be treated to never before seen (or heard) stories called “Who Am I?” by Jerry Sohl, “Now You Hear It, Now You Don’t” by yours truly, “The Amazing Dr. Powers” by Barry Richert, “Beewinjapeedee” and “Snow Angels” by JoBe Cerny and many others. It never slows down here at Falcon Picture Group, LLC especially where TZ is concerned!

Well that’s all for now, check back with me next week for more NEWS FROM THE ZONE!

1 comment:

Mike Hobart said...

Just heard "Pattern for Doomsday" and it was just like the Twilight Zone stories that I grew up watching as a child. Well done.